Wednesday, June 20, 2007

dia 3

Monday was a holiday here and therefore it was a bit of calm in a very busy weekend. I slept in and had a late breakfast. Mabel and I went with one of her nieces for lunch at a pasta place in downtown San Juan. Then we headed for a little drive north of the city. Our destination was a place called La Laja, which is where there is a completely renovated hotel and hot springs. For about 3 or 4 dollars, you can buy a private soak in tub with the ´agua termador´ running through it. We didn´t take part of the soaking, but Mabel wanted to check out the progress on the hotel. And the landscape was beautiful. We drove through some amazing vineyards - many with very old vines. Many were in full production, but I could tell some were abandoned and for sale. It is winter here, but the vineyards are still beautiful. One funny thing - here a ´bodega´ is a winery. We were driving around and Mabel kept saying, ´´oh look at the bodega,´´ or ´´here is another bodega´´ and I kept looking for stores! I´m thinking to myself, all I see is freakin´ vineyards..... FINALLY, I got it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You totally cracked me up! I picture you looking around for "check cashing" signs in the middle of the wine country. Newark would be a lot nicer with more of that kind of bodega.
Allison