It´s bad enough being insecure about my language skills here in Argentina without throwing in an incompetent taxi dispatcher. It´s enough to throw me over the edge. When I´m here in San Juan I always use the same car service - it´s the one with the newest, most reliable cars, and I even know the owner of a few of the cars. It´s been a reasonbly successful week or two with the guy who answers the phone. They always ask you the same questions: where are you? what´s the address? what´s the name of the family? Easy enough. Especially now that I can say a few of the words in the local ´´dialect´´ so that the dispatcher and the driver know exactly what I´m talking about even though it sounds like nonsense to me. BUT - today I called the car service, told them where I was, etc., etc. For whatever reason the guy on the other end was having a hard time with my accent even though he´s always understood me before. He kept asking if I was at an apartment or store and I was like, NO - it´s a house! There is no apartment number! Even I knew that the car was never going to show up when he never asked for my house number and hung up before I could tell him. This is where the housekeeper comes in. She heard my entire conversation when I was on the phone. When I hung up she said, basically, ´´what the hell was that?´´ I sighed and said that I didn´t think the car was going to come. She said that if it didn´t come in 20 minutes that SHE wanted to call. Fine. Well when the car didn´t come, she calls and pretty much reams out the dispatcher. She told them, what the hell about my conversation didn´t they understand, that she was standing in the room when I called, that I´ve been using the car service for two weeks and what the hell about the neighborhood of Barrio Del Bono didn´t they understand, that even though they didn´t have the house number they had the family name, blah, blah, blah. RAH. Gotta keep the housekeeper on your good side. And yes, the car finally showed up.
Friday, July 04, 2008
friends in the right places
It´s bad enough being insecure about my language skills here in Argentina without throwing in an incompetent taxi dispatcher. It´s enough to throw me over the edge. When I´m here in San Juan I always use the same car service - it´s the one with the newest, most reliable cars, and I even know the owner of a few of the cars. It´s been a reasonbly successful week or two with the guy who answers the phone. They always ask you the same questions: where are you? what´s the address? what´s the name of the family? Easy enough. Especially now that I can say a few of the words in the local ´´dialect´´ so that the dispatcher and the driver know exactly what I´m talking about even though it sounds like nonsense to me. BUT - today I called the car service, told them where I was, etc., etc. For whatever reason the guy on the other end was having a hard time with my accent even though he´s always understood me before. He kept asking if I was at an apartment or store and I was like, NO - it´s a house! There is no apartment number! Even I knew that the car was never going to show up when he never asked for my house number and hung up before I could tell him. This is where the housekeeper comes in. She heard my entire conversation when I was on the phone. When I hung up she said, basically, ´´what the hell was that?´´ I sighed and said that I didn´t think the car was going to come. She said that if it didn´t come in 20 minutes that SHE wanted to call. Fine. Well when the car didn´t come, she calls and pretty much reams out the dispatcher. She told them, what the hell about my conversation didn´t they understand, that she was standing in the room when I called, that I´ve been using the car service for two weeks and what the hell about the neighborhood of Barrio Del Bono didn´t they understand, that even though they didn´t have the house number they had the family name, blah, blah, blah. RAH. Gotta keep the housekeeper on your good side. And yes, the car finally showed up.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
that housekeeper sounds like a hero!
Hopefully the car did not look like the green jalopy below.
Post a Comment