Tuesday, December 29, 2009

zen puerto rican driver?

After we landed in San Juan, Bob and I hopped into a taxi to take us to VSJ. The woman who was our driver was the most laid back Puerto Rican driver (this includes me - I take on my Puerto Rican driving persona when I am down there - she who hesitates is lost!) and she chatted us up the whole way in. She even commented on how everybody was always in a rush and that she wasn't in a rush, etc. For those of you who have been on the island you know that this is NOT the usual attitude. And it wasn't that she was going to milk the meter or anything like that. San Juan is fantastic in that it has set fees for the taxi drivers that take you from point A to point B so she wasn't going to get any more money from us by driving at a safer speed. From her I did finally learn how to get around the bottom of Old San Juan and straight to the docks without going up over the hills through the scenic route. I managed to drive this very same, more efficient route (with one minor detour) later in the week. Rah. Once we were safely ensconced in the hotel we were able to figure out our dinner plans. There wasn't much discussion because Bobbie pretty much ran to Dragonfly to vote for his choice. I'm pretty sure it's his favorite spot in VSJ. Yum.

1 comment:

Allison said...

I think that this driver is akin to the legend of Bigfoot. You are either VERY lucky, or you have been cursed!