My favorite part of the NY Times is Dear Metropolitan Diary. It appears in the Metro section on Mondays. This is from the November 19th edition of the paper, and it made me laugh out loud.
Dear Diary:
Picture this: There I am on the No. 6 train from Lower Manhattan when I notice a grapefruit rolling on the floor.
I raise an eyebrow at the two women across from me, obviously on their way back from shopping in Chinatown, with overflowing grocery bags. They return my unspoken question about the ownership of the grapefruit with negative head-shaking.
As the train continues uptown it becomes more crowded, and someone picks up the grapefruit and puts it on a seat.
After several more stops and, by now, several straphangers, a young man gets on. He eyes the grapefruit for several minutes and then announces loudly to the car, “I ain’t givin’ up no seat for no fruit.”
He picks it up, sits down and is holding it on his lap when I exit.
Ellen Luger
Tuesday, November 20, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
i love that part as well! we get the nytimes delivered to our house up at smith, so i always put that section up in the bathroom stalls so my co-inhabitants can enjoy it as well.
xox sarah (on a different computer, so im not logged in)
Post a Comment