Sunday, October 11, 2009

building libraries


There is a not-for-profit in NYC that builds libraries for under-funded schools. My girls and I traveled over the west side to help put a library in order at a school that serves underprivileged kids. When we arrived I can't even describe the chaos that reigned in two rooms of the school where the library was to be created. The girls unpacked boxes and boxes of books (whenever they made some headway, the director called for more boxes to be brought up from the basement), created a whole children's library from scratch, alphabetized a young adult fiction section, and generally made the whole space look inviting. I was proud. The foto is from when the girls were trying to decide what books they were going to read to the pre-K class.....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think what the kids did is great. They can all be proud of themselves. Hopefully they can go back and do more reading to the
kids.Very cooool project.
Dad

Anonymous said...

What a great project. Kudos to the girls and their teachers.ma